PORT OF ALGECIRAS BAY AUTHORITY ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY DECLARATION
The following declaration (below) is the Port of Algeciras Bay Authority’s firm commitment to a port development that respects our Environment - in the realm of its abilities and pursuant to its functions and responsibilities - focusing its lines of action on protecting biodiversity and ecosystems.
The ports managed by this Port Authority constitute an important base of activity that generates economic and social development in the environment, where numerous public and private entities concur, with different repercussions on the environment near urban centers and enclaves of high environmental value.
For all these reasons, the Port Authority intensifies its efforts to prevent possible environmental impacts and minimize the consumption of natural resources in the port environment, applying the following principles in its management:
- To respect environmental legislation – along with any other such obligation – applicable to its activities, services and projects, and strive to go beyond legal requirements whenever technically and financially viable
- To make appropriate studies and diagnostics to analyse environmental risks that can identify adverse effects or hazards - or beneficial impacts or opportunities - and control significant environmental issues within our port.
- To incorporate the needs and expectations of interested parties – both internal and external –establishing efficient means of communication with the same regards environmental issues, by notifying of developments from a transparent point of view. With that aim, to publish an annual report available to the public.
- To prevent pollution from Port Authority functions and co-operate with the environmental control of external, independent companies that operate in our ports.
- To protect our natural surroundings, especially in the development of planning instruments and port infrastructure.
- • To make a more rational use of natural resources by applying energy-efficient criteria to help reduce climate change.
- Promote collaborative activities with public and private institutions in its area of influence that promote environmental awareness. Actively collaborate with administrations with direct powers in the field of environmental protection in the area of the service of the ports that depend on this Port Authority and in alignment with their Adherence to the 2030 Agenda of the World Network of Port Cities (AIVP) that incorporates the fulfillment of ten sustainable development objectives of the ports.
- Respect the principles contained in the "Green Guide of ESPO (Organization of European Maritime Ports); Towards excellence in environmental port management and sustainability", and those included in the "Guideline to implement the objectives of the European Green Pact related to Ports”
- To promote development in port business and economic growth for the Ports of Algeciras Bay and Tarifa in harmony with their surroundings and within a framework of sustainable development.
- To undertake activities to help our Port Community participate in this Policy Declaration as far as possible.
- To continuously improve the various aspects of our Environmental Management System and our environmental performance by setting environmental targets and other activities. In this sense, to set and review environmental objectives within the framework created by this Policy Declaration.
- To ensure the availability of necessary resources to implement this Environmental Policy